Urban Chicken Report Card

Eggstatic!

We've had our 4 Rhode Island Red (RIR) Hens for 1 year already... yes, they grow up so fast.
the only thing more amazing then how fast the chickens grew, 
is how big Bamm-Bamm has become since then!

I remember when we first got 'em... I had been working on the coop and run every weekend for a month... I wanted my babies safe.

Then we picked 'em up from the feed store.. I thought they looked awful small for being over a month old.

I didn't sleep a wink the first night.  I was sure every predator in a 100 mile radius would suddenly know there was fresh chicken in town.  I had nightmares of waking up to a raided henhouse... but my fears were unfounded.

I've only seen 1 hawk eyeing my ladies, but left 'em alone.

and 1 cat stupid enough to tangle with 4 full-grown RIRs... and she ran off to lick her wounds and hasn't been back since.

We get an egg from each girl.  Every.  Single.  Day.  That's a dozen eggs every 3 days.  Feed only costs us about $8/mo., so it's economical too.

Bamm-Bamm loves them, and they are pretty fun to watch.  Alpha, that's her name, keeps the pecking order strict - don't mess with her!


All in all, I love having chickens!  Our yard is very small, and mucking the coop is no picnic, but all-you-can-eat, yummy, super fresh eggs is!   I'm not sure I can ever go back to supermarket eggs...

Do you own any "livestock"? Bookmark and Share
0 Responses

Related Posts with Thumbnails